
URC Church History
History of the Church
The Congregational Church in Mere was founded in 1795. The current building is the third church to be built on this site. The current building was constructed in 1868 by Mr. Charles Jupe, a local mill owner.
In 1972 the Congregational Church of England and the Presbyterian Church became the United Reformed Church. This meant minor changes in church government, but no difference in the services or the day-to-day administration.
Renovations
There have been various renovations to the church over the years. The first major alteration was to erect a partition across the building to provide a hall at the back. This could be let for small meetings. Later the pews in the church were replaced with chairs.
The most recent project (2021) was an attempt to make the building more useful. It was important to keep a worship area, but also upgrade the space to a modern building that could be used by the community.